All about the £1bn Great British Insulation Scheme
The Great British Insulation Scheme will help homeowners install low-cost insulation like loft and cavity wall insulation. And you can apply for it using Snugg!
UPDATE: In March 2023 the UK government renamed the ECO+ scheme to the Great British Insulation Scheme. We’ve updated the following article to reflect this.
In November 2022, the UK Government announced the £1 billion ECO+ scheme. It was later renamed the Great British Insulation Scheme.
The Great British Insulation Scheme is an extension of ECO4 - the latest phase of the Energy Company Obligation (ECO) scheme that was introduced in 2013 to help people struggling with their energy bills.
The ECO4 scheme requires energy suppliers to help people on low incomes - and those who are considered in poverty due to high fuel payments - make their homes more energy efficient.
The Great British Insulation Scheme will focus on helping more homeowners install low-cost insulation, including loft insulation, underfloor insulation and cavity wall insulation. It’s thought that this extra funding could benefit around 400,000 households that don’t qualify for the ECO4 scheme.
With Citizens Advice reporting that over 31 million people live in poorly insulated properties, the Great British Insulation Scheme can play a key role in improving the energy efficiency of our homes.
The Great British Insulation Scheme is accessible through the Snugg platform for qualifying homeowners living in eligible postcodes.
How much support could you get?
Great British Insulation Scheme is intended to help people who either:
- live in low-income or vulnerable households
- live in homes with an EPC of D or worse
- live in homes with low council tax bands (A-D in England, A-E in Scotland and A-C in Wales)
- haven’t had any other form of funding from the UK Government towards the cost of improving their home’s energy efficiency
In particular, around 80% of the £1bn funding is intended to support those living in homes with an EPC of D or worse. Around half of homes in the UK fall within this category.
You don’t have to own your home to qualify for support, so renters (subject to approval from their landlords) may be covered too. There are additional requirements for rental properties.
The amount of support you receive will depend on your specific circumstances. Applications will be assessed based on which of the following two categories you fall into:
Low income group
- Those with an EPC rating of D or worse, AND;
- either receive a means-tested benefit, live in the least efficient social housing, or are referred by local authority, devolved administration or energy supplier participating under the flexible eligibility element of the scheme.
- Those living in council tax bands A-D in England, A-E in Scotland and A-C in Wales, AND;
- with an EPC rating of D or worse.
The exact amount of funding you receive will be decided when your application’s reviewed. You could receive part of full funding depending on your circumstances.
How could the Great British Insulation Scheme benefit you?
With the Great British Insulation Scheme, you could receive financial assistance for one of the following types of energy efficiency installations:
- Cavity wall insulation
- Solid wall insulation (both external and internal)
- Loft insulation
- Pitched roof insulation
- Flat roof insulation
- Underfloor insulation
- Solid floor insulation
- Park home insulation
- Room-in-roof insulation
Those applying to the scheme are limited to choosing just one of these options. But homeowners with a low income can apply for assistance with other measures through the ECO4 scheme.
- cut energy bills by £24 billion
- prevent 650,000 new cases of childhood asthma
- prevent over 500,000 people from developing mental health conditions.
How do you apply for the Great British Insulation Scheme?
Snugg customers can find out whether they qualify for a Great British Insulation Scheme grant directly from the Snugg platform.
You can also apply for the Great British Insulation Scheme by contacting your energy provider.
If you’re not a Snugg customer, you can sign up here for free.
Get more insights
Get your free personalised home energy efficiency plan
Get a free personalised plan to help reduce your energy bills and prepare for a greener future.